Coach with SOM
Special Olympics Manitoba is a volunteer-based organization. Currently over 800 coaches, officials, fundraisers and administrators provide support to our over 1600 athletes.
The volunteers are the backbone of the organization. Our success depends on the dedication and skills of our many volunteers.
Benefits of Becoming a Coach
- Build your resume
- Have the opportunity for travel and to experience competitions from the Regional to the International level.
- Help athletes with an intellectual disability achieve their goals and reach their full potential
- Improve your coaching and/or administrative skills
- Meet new people and contacts
- Participate in recognition events
- Pursue training and continuing education
- Stay active in sport
- Use your skills to help others
New Coaching Recognition Award - Outstanding Achievements in Coaching
Criteria: NCCP driven, competitions attended, professional development and all around promoting Special Olympics in the community.
- SOC Competition Workshop
- Athletics Sport Coach
- MED training and Evaluation
- Basketball Competition Introduction
- Coaches Two Programs
- 2 snowshoe competitions
- 2 Basketball tournaments (one to North Dakota)
- 3 Track and Field competitions
- Provincial Conference
- Regional Meetings
- Encouraged other coaches to attend 2011 Provincial Conference
- Coach on the Provincial Winter Team
Expectations of Coaching with Special Olympics Manitoba
- Fulfill the responsibility of your assignment
- Set an example for the athletes
- Demonstrate good sportsmanship
- Treat athletes and coaches with dignity and respect
- Active participation and consistent attendance
- Take advantage of the opportunities that Special Olympics offers you.