BECOME AN OPERATIONAL VOLUNTEER
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING WITH SOM
Special Olympics Manitoba is a volunteer-based organization. Currently over 800 coaches, officials, fundraisers, and administrators provide support to our over 1900 athletes and make a difference in their lives.
Volunteers are the backbone of our organization. Without your time, energy, commitment and enthusiasm, who take a little time out of your busy schedules to make the world a better place, we would simply not exist. Our success depends on the dedication and skills of our many volunteers.
Benefits of Volunteering with SOM
- Help athletes with an intellectual disability achieve their goals and reach their full potential
- Improve your interpersonal and/or administrative skills for personal and professional development
- Build your resume
- Build friendships and make networking connections
- Pursue training and continuing education
- Stay active in sport and in your community
- Use your skills to help others
- Gain volunteer hours for school programs
- Participate in recognition events
- Most importantly, experience the joy of working with our athletes and capture the spirit of Special Olympics!
BECOME A VOLUNTEER – ONBOARDING PROCESS
Step 1: Fill out application form
In order to get started with us, enroll through our registration portal. Once we receive your application, SOM will contact you within seven business days about the next steps in the onboarding process.
Step 2: Volunteer forms and screening
All volunteers are required to complete the Volunteer Orientation, as well as fill out the necessary volunteer forms to complete the onboarding process. The level of screening in the process varies according to the level of responsibility in each volunteer position. This is for risk management purposes to ensure all volunteers and athletes are safe and protected.
Step 3: Volunteer Placement
After submission of all volunteer forms and approval of your application, SOM will contact you and offer a volunteer position if a successful match is made between your abilities, skills, and an available position. If you decide to accept the offer, a start date will be discussed with you. You will then receive information on the next steps for training.
For more information about volunteering, contact Lesley Camaso-Catalan, Manager, Program Services, at 204.925.5625 (toll-free 1.888.333.9179) or email@example.com.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES & DESCRIPTIONS
Experience the energy of a Special Olympics Manitoba event! Spend an exciting day at a competition timing races, measuring long jumps, serving lunches and much more. Special Olympics Manitoba also holds many fund raising events throughout the year. Attend one of these fun events as a volunteer and assist with raffle tickets, auction, set-up and take part in the production of a huge event.
Share your expertise and talents on a planning committee. Gain new leadership and organizational skills, or utilize your creative side in putting on a fund raising event or competition. You can also donate your skills to the regional leadership team, a committee that supports the programs and activities of each Special Olympics region in Manitoba. Meet new people and take pride in making things happen!
Office Support Volunteer
Are you available during the daytime and enjoy the office environment? Spend a few hours assisting staff with a mail-out, data entry or filing. Build your resume and gain new skills.
Other Volunteer Positions
Do you have a unique talent to offer Special Olympics Manitoba? We have photographers, singers for the National Anthem, newsletter designers, etc. Let us know what your skills are and we will explore a possible match within the needs of the organization.
Registering as an Operational Volunteer - (including Event, Committee, and Administrator Volunteers)
- Open the following link in a new tab: https://portal.specialolympics.ca/registration
- Input relevant personal identification. Press 'Next Step- Validate Member'. If you have previously been with Special Olympics. An email will be sent to you advising you of your validation number. Insert it in the appropriate spot and proceed with your enrollment. This keeps all your records together.
- Complete the portal registration. Once this is completed you will be able to access your file on the portal to enroll in future years and update items such as your address.
- Confirm if you are your own Legal Guardian
- Press- 'Next Step - Waivers
- You must accept the first three waivers fields to move forward. If you have concerns about accepting these waivers, please contact SOM at firstname.lastname@example.org. The next three fields, including the 'Media Release Waiver' are up to you, When finished, press 'Next Step - Program Search'.
- Use the Chapter and Region boxes and the 'Search' button to see what categories and roles are available. An Event Volunteer position would be found under 'Chapter'. Select a position using the checkbox on the left side of the page. If you are unsure which position you would like to help with, simply fill in any position and then provide us with further information as to what opportunities you are looking for in the note section when you reach it. When finished press 'Next Step- Member Profile'.
- Fill in as many fields as you can, and when finished press 'Next Step- Address'. Please note that you will not be able to continue if you leave any fields marked with a red asterisk blank.
- Fill in address information. If you split time between two addresses, you can use the 'Secondary Address' section. When finished, press 'Next Step- Criminal Record'.
- Most Operational Volunteer positions do not require a Criminal Record Check. If you require one we will notify you by email after we have received your enrollment. When finished, press 'Next Step-Medical Information'.
- Fill in Medical Information. Remember that here in Manitoba, we have two medical numbers. Please include both with a space between. This information is requested to ensure we have the information necessary should a medical emergency arise while you are volunteering.
When finished, press 'Next Step- Emergency Contacts'.
- Use the 'Add' button to input emergency contact information. When finished, press 'Next Step- Member Training'.
- Use the 'Add' button to input any training courses, such as NCCP, leadership or CPR, that you have taken. When finished, press 'Next Step- Volunteer Profile'.
- Fill in volunteer information. This screen also gives you the opportunity to tell us more about yourself and explain further about the volunteer opportunity you are looking for.
When finished, press 'Next Step- Enrollment Details'
- Review Enrollment Details and use the 'Category' field to select your volunteer role and organization role. When finished, select 'Next Step - Submit Enrollment'.