Become A Volunteer!
Special Olympics Manitoba is a volunteer-based organization. Over 800 coaches, officials, fundraisers, and administrators support our 1900+ athletes and make a difference in their lives.
Our community of volunteers is the backbone of the organization. Without their time, energy, commitment, and enthusiasm, we would simply not exist. Our success depends on the dedication and skills of our many volunteers.
Apply to volunteer with SOM today by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
Benefits of Volunteering and Becoming a Coach with SOM
- Help athletes with an intellectual disability achieve their goals and reach their full potential
- Improve your coaching and/or administrative skills for personal and professional development
- Build your resume
- Have the opportunity to travel and to experience competitions from the Regional to the International level
- Build friendships and make networking connections
- Pursue training and continuing education
- Stay active in sport and in your community
- Use your skills to help others
- Gain volunteer hours for school programs
- Participate in recognition events
- Most importantly, experience the joy of working with our athletes and capture the spirit of Special Olympics
Become a Volunteer/Coach – Onboarding Process
Step 1: Volunteer Application Form
In order to get started with us, you will need to fill out a registration form. Once we receive your application, SOM will contact you within five business days about the following 3 steps in the process.
Step 2: Additional Forms and Screening
All volunteers are required to complete the Volunteer Orientation and screening, including a Criminal Record Check (if becoming a program volunteer or coach). As well as fill out the necessary volunteer forms to complete the application process. The level of screening in the volunteer application process varies according to the level of responsibility in each volunteer position. This is for risk management purposes to ensure all volunteers and athletes are safe and protected.
Step 3: Volunteer Placement
After submission of all volunteer forms and approval of your application, SOM will contact you and you will be offered a volunteer position if a successful match is made between your abilities, skills, and an available position. If you decide to accept the offer, a start date will be discussed with you. You will then receive information on the next steps for training.
Step 4: Training and Development
Volunteers have the opportunity to take advantage of many training and educational opportunities. Special Olympics Manitoba offers a number of training sessions throughout the year, including the Provincial Conference with sessions and Special Olympics Canada Competition Coach Workshop. More information about training can be provided by contacting the SOM provincial office.
*** Check out our current volunteer opportunities by going to our Volunteer Opportunities page here. ***