Regional Leadership Team
The Regional Leadership Team, in each of the seven regions of the province, is an operating committee of Special Olympics Manitoba. Each Team is responsible for the daily operations and finances of its region.
Regional Leadership Teams report to the Board of Directors of Special Olympics Manitoba first through the Regional Leadership Council, who then reports to the Sport Program Committee.
- To manage the daily operations of its Region;
- To submit on a monthly basis, financial statements to Special Olympics Manitoba;
- To submit annual accreditation, with supporting documents, by June 30th to Special Olympics Manitoba; and
- To submit annual regional budgets by June 30th to Special Olympics Manitoba.
The Regional Leadership Team consists of the following:
- Elected Regional Leader;
- Appointed Regional Treasurer;
- Appointed Recorder; and
- Interested members of the Region.
Representation of the Region involves:
- Each accredited club of Special Olympics Manitoba within the Region is eligible to appoint a minimum of one (1) representative (the representative can be anyone affiliated with the club);
- Each accredited club has one (1) vote;
- There is no formal quorum. Those in attendance will have a vote and decisions will be made based on that vote;
- Elections will be held to fill the position of Regional Leader no later than the end of the fiscal year.
- Meetings will be open to the public, however they will have no vote.
Method of Operation
- Hold regular meetings, as required. Minutes of each meeting are to be forwarded to the provincial office following a meeting;
- Dates of meetings need to be communicated throughout the Region two (2) weeks prior to the scheduled date; and
- Special Olympics Manitoba staff will be informed of the meeting two (2) weeks prior to the scheduled date.
Contact Regional Leaders/Contacts at Special Olympics Manitoba
Regional Job Descriptions
Position Responsibilities Estimated Time Regional Leader Responsible for chairing Regional meetings; Responsible for monitoring regional program needs; Other duties 5 - 10 hours per week Treasurer Responsible for handling the daily monetary affairs of the Regional Council; Submit bank reconciliation statement, receipts and disbursements journal; Writing cheques on receipt of requisitions and keeping receipts for all expenditures 10 - 20 hours per month Recorder Responsible for the taking of minutes at all Regional meetings; Responsible for distributing minutes to all council members following each regional meeting 5 - 10 hours per month Fund Raising Coordinate with the Regional Council and Special Olympics Manitoba the development and implementation of fund raising activities; 10 - 20 hours per month
Method of Operation
- The Committee shall meet on an as needed basis or at the discretion of the Chair;
- The Chair of the Committee will report directly to the Board of Directors;
- The Regional Representative on the Board will be elected from the 4 representatives from the Task Forces and Regional Leadership Council; and
- The "Terms of Reference" are to be reviewed annually.
Process for Regional Affiliation
The new program is affiliated with the Region in which it runs:
- Attend Regional Meetings and provide a club budget (form 3000-E) and inventory (3000-D) for the upcoming year;
- Communicate with the Regional Leadership Team;
- Assist in Regional Fund Raising; Participate in Regional Events and Competitions;
- Obtain appropriate coaching training;
- Ensure that all athletes and volunteers are registered with Special Olympics Manitoba; and
- Meet all of the minimum standards for a Special Olympics Manitoba program.
As an accredited program of Special Olympics Manitoba you are entitled to:
- A vote at Regional leadership Council meetings;
- Assistance with Program Funding;
- Access and funding for volunteer training;
- Opportunities to qualify to participate at all levels of competition (local to international) Regional and provincial quota as assigned; and
- Access to materials and resources.