Team Canada Coach and Mission Staff Opportunities For Berlin 2023
The World Games are the flagship event for the Special Olympics movement and take place every two years, alternating between summer and winter Games. The World Games feature more than a week of intense, yet inspiring, competition among thousands of athletes.
The National Team Program (NTP) was developed by Special Olympics Canada to better equip our athletes, coaches and mission staff attending World Games. The NTP is designed to provide athletes, coaches and mission staff with a formalized approach to training and preparation for World Games. The program ensures that Special Olympics athletes in Canada have access to quality training, coaching and competitive opportunities to ensure optimal performance and a positive experience as a member of the National Team.
Areas of focus for the National Team Program in the year leading up to the World Games:
• Yearly training plan that is carried out in conjunction with the athlete’s Training Coach and monitored regularly by National Team Coaches.
• Sport Science – emphasis on fitness, nutrition and mental training.
• Training Camps – one full team training camp and one sport specific training camp.
• Training Monitoring – training diaries, monthly training reports, assessment and revision of yearly training plan, periodic fitness testing.
• Communication – ongoing contact between Training Coaches and National Team Coaches.
• Competition – additional opportunities leading up to and during the World Games.
The next Special Olympics World Summer Games will be held in Berlin, Germany in June 2023.
SOC is currently accepting applications for the following positions with the NTP for the Special Olympics World Summer Games Berlin 2023